Does a Championship Define a Players Greatness?

AtlantaSports

The White mamba has more rings than a-lot of NBA greats, and practically never got any playing time whatsoever. He could have been put to good use but his talent was wasted while he was in the NBA, he never got a chance to truly shine. Respect to Brian Scalabrine.

Ahahaha the white mamba! No but really, that's where the rings argument starts to lose power. While rings are extremely important, that does not measure a player or their ability.

Jordan94

I would say yes and no. To me it really depends on the player, and how much they contribute to winning the championship. I do honestly think it is more of a team effort than just one individual play. Like back in 2010 when the Lakers won the championship I don't believe they would have won if it wasn't for Kobe Bryant, but when the Golden State Warriors won the champion ship I believe it was more of a team effort than just one player.

alexjackson

I think so. There's a reason people rarely even talk about Karl Malone or Pete Maravich. However, a ring next to player's name, when measuring said player's greatness, means only if he had a pivotal role in winning said ring. For example, it's totally fair to Michael Jordan has six rings, but it's kinda silly to say Darko Milicic has two. I think winning a championship should only be considered a measurement when debating between all time greats.

dyanmarie25

I do believe so. However, it shouldn't only be about one player's greatness/gloriousness. It's about the whole team, their effort, their fighting spirit, their teamwork. Everyone in the team should be credited. There could be one player who could stand out from the rest, but he couldn't achieve it without the support and motivation from the team.

nailah783

Championships don't make the player great or not great. Championships make teams great. They can't win on their own, and they definitely don't lose on their own. A players greatness is based off of their stats and their stats alone.

turnerman10

Michael Jordan's impact on the game of basketball is still felt today, and his legacy as one of the greatest players of all time is secure. His competitive drive, incredible skill, and ability to perform in clutch moments will continue to inspire basketball players and fans for generations to come.