Do you think the All Star game is based on popularity more than skill?

thepieeatingjay

This seems to have been an issue in the NBA for at least the past 18 years. The All Star game is all about being voted as among the elite of your peers. But sometimes, you see the same names in the voting year after year. Some of those years, certain players aren't exactly playing at a high level or even a good level. Yet, the somehow manage to be part of the running.

Then you get guys that are doing great. But don't get all star mention just because they aren't popular or they aren't "marketable"?

Personally, I think the All Star voting stopped being about skill years ago.

Charity

Just like the baseball all star game, I think this is going to be based off of the popularity of a player. I mean, if I looked at the roster right I did not see James Harden mentioned. Never mind the fact that Harden is one of the best offensive machines in the game right now.

KNH

I definitely have to agree, it's all about publicity and popularity. If a player is well-known, they'll want him on the team - it will attract more viewers and attention, thus bringing in more money.

goldenmaine

I think to be named an All-Star players have to have a little bit of both skill and popularity. I think their skill is directly proportional to popularity. I mean if they play well every game and show how skillful they are, then people will take notice and they become more popular, that may result to them to become all stars from votes of coaches and the public. Some highlights during games could help too which is the popularity aspect of being an all-star. But of course if a player has both skill and a bit of a showman of highlights during games then he can become popular with the fans and may eventually have a brand of his own.

queenbellevue

While I do think it's gonna be based mainly on popularity, I doubt you could become popular unless you had a ton of skill (or at least used to have a ton of skill)

KNH

While I do think it's gonna be based mainly on popularity, I doubt you could become popular unless you had a ton of skill (or at least used to have a ton of skill)

True. I think the players have to be talented enough to be recognized or they have to break a record or do something unique to get more well-known, but I do think there are some low-key players who have enough talent to play in the all star game.

JoanMcWench

These games remind me of the Pro Bowl for the NFL. Everyone is more concerned about getting hurt than playing a real game. Now, they could easily fix that probably by telling them how they play in the All Star game will affect the amount their contract is negotiated for the next year. Money always puts a pep in their step.

Kayla109

I absolutely believe that popularity is a main factor, but I don't necessarily think it's always the deciding factor. However, at the same time, I definitely do not believe that skill takes a backseat in this process. In my opinion, voting players into the game almost seems like pulling numbers out of the hat of "greatness". Ultimately, there can only be so many players, which inevitably means that every player that deserves to be playing doesn't always get that call. For example, there was a little controversy floating around this year because DeAndre Jordan, Houston Rockets' center. didn't make the cut. Doc Rivers. Houston's coach, definitely felt some type of way about it, but at the end of the day, for Jordan to have a spot, someone like Tim Duncan or Demarcus Cousins would've had to be turned away. It's almost like a "can't win for losing" situation. However, I feel that If they, meaning the players, got the call, they deserved it.

Kappys

Popularity is what makes the all-star game, the all-star game. Flashy moves, and popular, highlighted players. Obviously the popularity of the player comes with the skill, so it goes hand in hand. LeBron James for example, didn't become popular because hes attractive or anything of the sort, he's the dominating player in the association as of late.

westmixxin

Sometimes it may seem that way but for the most part the players that make it to the All star game really do have talent.

LuckyNumber13

It's a matter of popularity and skill, I think. Basketball is used for entertainment, not purely skill so they want someone who has fans and game to back it up. That way it draws more attention, draws more fans and draws in more money.

dyanmarie25

Just like what LuckyNumber13 has already mentioned, I think All Star games are based on both popularity and skill. Although this event is more of a form of entertainment, and the audience are always looking forward to famous players, I believe that players should still not overlook the fact that this is still a serious one.

Jordan94

Yeah it's really starting to seem like that over the past few years. They are Putting players in there that I don't necessarily call talented. I honestly miss the old days of the All-Star game to be perfectly honest with you. To be it just seemed like it was more entertaining back then. Got to love the old NBA days.

alexjackson

Yes, absolutely. Best example of this Yao Ming, who wasn't a bad player but he constantly got voted in because all of China voted for him, despite him being injured or just not in a good form. Luckily, fans are usually able to populate the starting line-up with the best players and coaches fill in the rest with deserving players.

thejamal

Absolutely, but I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that. The All-star game should have players in it that fans want to see. Most of time, it works out where the best players still get in too, with coaches having a big say at who gets in on the bench. I like the way it is now: fans choose starters, coaches pick the bench. It seems like a good balance to keep moving forward.