Do White Guys Even Bother Playing Basketball Anymore?

skotrhythm

I mean it's obvious that the NBA is dominated by African Americans. Let's face it, they s*#t all over the white guys when it comes to ball. So what happens in the high schools and colleges in the USA? Do white guys still try and make the big time or do they stick to sports they might actually have a better chance at like swimming?

Last edited:

colfgg

White guys can't jump. I am a white guy and I played for quite a while in high school. I live in Canada so I think the race question is really different. I played football and basketball. The teams were mixed pretty evenly. Maybe it changes things whn you watch the NFL or the NBA and see that most of the players are black. It must have an effect on young people. Something along the lines: Afro-americans are professional basketball and football players, I am black, I can also do it. You can replace black with white and "I can do it" with I can't, I would rather swim.

skotrhythm

I'm an Australian so I think we're in the same boat as Canada. I also played basketball in school but I never imagine going anywhere with it and neither did anyone else I knew, it's all about rugby league there. Even though when I was at school the majority of the best Australian basketball players were white, it's now changed and you'll find it's slowly becoming more of an Afro-American dominated sport. Yes, international imports. But it has increased the popularity of the sport in our country.

p0gy0

The only strength I see white guys has over black guys is shooting. The Steve Kerrs, Larry Birds, Mark Prices will still do well in the NBA. Europeans are still around as a matter of fact the NBA has been reaching out to "white" European basketball talents the past decade. I don't think white guys is staying away from basketball anytime soon.

BadgerSquadron3

White guys may not be the dominating force that they were in the past, when they had guys such as Larry Bird, Jerry West, and John Stockon, among others, but there are still a bunch of quality white guys in the NBA. Hell, the entire Timberwolves team was white at one point this season, and they would have been contenders if Kevin Love wasn't out for the almost the whole season. Don't forget about guys like Marc Gasol getting Defensive POTY.

Kingmaker

I am white Irish guy and an absolute beast on the court and the football field at 6'1 and 245 lbs and have shutdown many black guys in my day, and been schooled by many in my time as well. I feel race has nothing to do with athletic ability it is work ethic, drive and genetics and what you are made of inside your head and heart. The NFL may have a lot more black players than white players and has since the 70's but the better percentage of greatest players are white. Both sides could fight all day and both have valid points. I mean the logo of the NBA is a white guy Jerry West, not Kareem, not Wilt, not Russell. I think it is safe to say the white boys have had more than a little success in all professional sports and will continue to do so whether anyone likes it or not.

Maikflow

For every one basketball black superstar, there are like 1000 bad ones. I feel it's just a culture thing, people with color have flooded basketball since the NBA/ABA merger, history has encouraged (IMO) black people to pick up a basketball from an early age and start practicing.
I personally don't think race has anything to do with skill, look at Chandler Parsons, only his second year in the league and he put up great numbers (for a sophomore). Even Kobe B had nothing but good things to say about him.

NBA today is truly international, it has done a great job at uniting players from all around the world and show that basketball is a global sport than anyone can play, indepent of race or culture.

3bie

Most succesful athletes start their sport early - as a kid. Therefore, it did not start out as a career but as an activity to be enjoyed. I think white guys - Caucasians should continue playing a sport they love. Euros are developing into good ball players and are increasingly turned to by NBA scouts. Even if one were to be the lowest paid player in the NBA, I expect it to still be a dream job.

thedragon

Jerry West is a top 2 shooting guard. If any player can maximise their skills to a ridicously high level like the logo or Nash then Athletiscm and length doesn't matter. The shooting, playmaking, basketball iq will make up for any deficiencies.

Jacobec

What!!??? I'm a black male but there are a lot of good white basketball players in college and in the NBA. They probably not known for there jumping, but mayne they could shoot. Don't get me wrong but we are taking over all the major sport in the USA.

skotrhythm

Yeh this is what I'm saying. Black guys are just design better for the sport. Sure you could be white and be great but if you were black, you'd be unbelievable !

Mali

I feel that white guys are just as good as black guys in this sport. White guys might have to put in a little more effort but for the most part white guys are just as athletic than black guys

mareebaybay

I don't think race has anything to do with. There were tons of great white and black stars throughout history. I mean even know there are alot of younger players a rising, that are white that will do big things as well.

TheViper

This whole thread seems to be completely racist and bias. The simple fact is that your skill all depends on how hard you work on it. Sure you have naturally talent but that goes on both sides of the lane. Just because you are black doesn't make you a better basketball player then someone who is white.