Rebuilding Around Rondo

3bie

Now that the business surrounding the moving out of Pierce and Garnett has concluded transactionally, what remains is the business surrounding Rajon Rondo with the proper pieces to move the Cs back into contender status. First in the order of business is the chemistry between the new coach and Rajon - followed closely by who the right pieces are. Who would you say should be partnered Rondo to make things click?

ken watkins

I love Rajon Rondo as a player, but I do not think you should build around him. The Celtics have a lot of holes to fill. Building around him will be tough as fans will expect a lot from him. It will be interesting to see how the new coach and him get along. Rondo is a moody player and him being a leader is something I don't know about yet.

3bie

I agree with your assessment that Rondo is too moody to become THE franchise player. However, he is still the centerpiece around whom the team will be constructed. I think it's a pretty sensitive and tricky deal but if management properly supports the new coach, I think a lot of progress can be made. Who knows - maybe Rajon grows up?

BadgerSquadron3

I figured Rondo would be gone before the start of the 13-14' season. I don't think he is the guy to build a franchise around. He is a great piece to the puzzle, but I can't see him becoming a franchise player.

Honestly, I would dish him out too and start from scratch.

thedragon

If Rondo could shoot the three ball, and stop his assist whoring he is the legitamate top point guard in the league. But none of the recent picks have all star potential. Melo is a scrub, Sullinger has a low ceiling. Kelly Olynyk can play offense but he can't play agianst the more athletic centers.

Rebuilding around a pass-first point guard like Rajon Rondo could work. Remember the days when Phoenix Suns where one of the most dangerous teams in the west due to rebuilding around Steve Nash and the New Jersey rebuilding their team around Jason Kidd and had 2 consecutive trips to the NBA finals? If the Boston Celtics can acquire decent role players with above average offensive skills (since Rondo isn't a scorer) and at least one all-star caliber player to complement Rondo's passing skills then the Boston Celtics can be a contender with Rondo as their franchise player.