Jeremy Lin not being used to his full potential?

lindbergh

Jeremy Lin was a breath of fresh air back in New York. He put some life into a dismal season for the Knicks. He gave the fans of New York something to cheer about. Then he was booted by the team. He was taken by Houston. He is surrounded by a lot of great players like Harden and Howard. He has the chance to really shine in this team. Instead, he was made a bench player by the coach. Lin has so much potential but he's not being allowed to grow. Your thoughts?

thepieeatingjay

I still don't understand why the Rockets let him go. The Rockets were in the process of becoming a power in the west again. When they got him from the Knicks I remember saying to myself "the man's gold".

But they traded him to the Lakers, I really hope it was worth it.

Maxeem

I still don't understand why the Rockets let him go. The Rockets were in the process of becoming a power in the west again. When they got him from the Knicks I remember saying to myself "the man's gold".

As an Asian myself and a follower of almost all of the NBA teams, I feel that, although he still needs to get used to his new team and home, he's for the most part better off in the Lakers.
He was an excellent player, supported by his breakout season with the Knicks, however, McHale never had the trust in him and never ended up giving him enough minutes even as their hopes were failing. It seemed like McHale never actually watched Lin play prior to that season, and that Lin was just randomly placed under his care with a note that said "Do whatever you want!"
As we see by him getting better and better in terms of stats, Lin definitely can fill a starting position on a mediocre team. Although I don't believe that he's good enough for a staring gig on a contending team, hes still young, and can improve. I'm really looking forward to see his growth with the Lakers, and I wish the best for him!

lindbergh

Strangely enough, the Houston Rockets are establishing themselves as powers in the West without Jeremy Lin! I don't know what it is but when they let go of Lin and maintained Beverly, they started playing a lot better. I don't know, maybe it's just an illusion. Maybe Beverly and Lin just didn't fit well together or maybe it's just very early in the season. But as you can see, Lin and the Lakers are struggling while Beverly and the Rockets are flying high.

Maxeem

Strangely enough, the Houston Rockets are establishing themselves as powers in the West without Jeremy Lin! I don't know what it is but when they let go of Lin and maintained Beverly, they started playing a lot better. I don't know, maybe it's just an illusion. Maybe Beverly and Lin just didn't fit well together or maybe it's just very early in the season. But as you can see, Lin and the Lakers are struggling while Beverly and the Rockets are flying high.
To be fair... the Lakers roster doesn't even look like a proper roster, and the Rockets exchanged Parsons for Ariza.
Overall, I feel it's too early in the season to decide if Lin was the problem in the Rockets roster, as it's only been 9 games (though 8-1 is really good for 9 games)
McHale also never used Lin to his full potential either, possibly affecting our conclusions.
But overall, Beverley is an excellent player and I don't mean to take any credit from him, I just don't feel like it's fair to judge Lin's ability based on this.

thejamal

Agreed with Maxeem. It's not really Lin's fault that he's paired with probably one of the worst back-court mates in the league for his game in another ball-dominant guy with Kobe. Also, that Lakers roster is just a mess of mis-matched parts. Even if Lin was NYK Lin, that team would still be 1-8.

Lin needs to go to a team where he's not paired with one of the most ball-dominant perimeter players in the league. He wasn't a great fit with Harden and he's not with Kobe because both guys require a lot of ball, which is Lin's game as well. That's how he was so successful in NYK; he had total control of that offense. While I don't think it'd be a good idea to give him that level of control, there are certainly better teams that fit his game than what's going on in LA.