Experience vs atlethicism, who wins?

Maikflow

This new season in the NBA will be quite interesting in that there will be younger teams becoming a major threat on playoffs (warriors, rockets, pacers, etc) to the older and more experienced teams (spurs, knicks, heat?) so which one do you see coming out on top? will it be experience beating atlethicisim, or will the younger more eager players be able to get past the old dogs in the yard?

IMO this next season will be a passing of the torch for these new teams coming in and one of them will capture it all in the end (hoping rockets :) )

lindbergh

I think that the team with the most athleticism wins as evidenced by the recent NBA Finals. Though Ginobili and Parker and Duncan had more championship experience as compared to the Heat players, the athleticism of Lebron James, Dwayne Wade and the rest of the heat were simply too much for the Spurs. Just match up a 50+ year old Michael Jordan full of experience against a 20+ year old Lebron with a lot of athleticism and you'll see that James would win 9 out of 10 times (IMO).

3bie

In my humble opinion, experience will have a slight edge over athleticism. I dont believe there is such a thing as team athleticism but there is definitely team experience. The assumption has to be made that most players who get to the NBA already has talent. Therefore, on-court wisdom, which is gained through experience over time, allows a team to go deep into the playoffs.

Jacobec

To be frank, experienced teams always come out winning. Yes young teams with athleticism sometimes go to the finals but they never win. As you could see in the last couple of years. I think this season will be the best yet, and it will be fun to watch every team.

BadgerSquadron3

To an extent, I think athleticism is the winner, but you can't discount the impact of a leader. If you throw together a team of the most athletic newbies, I don't think they will have enough syncro to beat an experienced team.

I don't think the heat would have won without the experience of guys like Ray Allen and, dare I say it? Juwuan Howard.

Maikflow

To an extent, I think athleticism is the winner, but you can't discount the impact of a leader. If you throw together a team of the most athletic newbies, I don't think they will have enough syncro to beat an experienced team.

I don't think the heat would have won without the experience of guys like Ray Allen and, dare I say it? Juwuan Howard.
Juwan the 'old man' Howard haha, all he did is get mad while taking a seat haha.

And sure team experience seems to be the most important attribute during playoffs, to me it just seems that 2 years ago the thunder outran and outjumped the spurs. Also Lebron almost won everything on his first year with the heat, were it not for Dallas.

The way I see it is, atlethicism during the playoffs sometimes gets overlooked because teams adjust very well and thus look for ways to defend with team defense, which is what happens constantly to the clippers imo.

This year though I just think there are new teams that gained a lot of experience last time and now have good chemistry which will be difficult to overcome for any team (spurs, thunder, nuggets, etc) does anyone agree?

Kingmaker

I think it takes an equal measure of both to be a truly great NBA player or be a part of a great championship team in the NBA. Professional sports as a whole are way more competitive than the "average joe" even realizes or will experience in his entire life. These guys play 5 on 5 games for 48 minutes and every minute usually is a constant battle of wills that requires experience and athleticism to get the win, especially a title.

BadgerSquadron3

Juwan the 'old man' Howard haha, all he did is get mad while taking a seat haha.

Man, I heard that Juwan was giving those guys a tongue lashing during halftime during some of those games. He definitely deserved to get MVB, and no doubt he is the GOAT when it comes to being a benchwamer/hypeman. I didn't see Derek Rose giving any effort from the bench.

Give Juwan another ring before he's done.

mareebaybay

I mean I would have to go with experience on this one. I think experience can beat athleticism any time. I mean just look at the spurs, they have beaten a lot of more athletic teams in the past years.

TheViper

Experience will always have a edge. When you've been there before then you know how to react and do things. You can be athletic and still get beat with experience.